Dennis vents about frustrations around web accessibility and revisit the “game plan”. He and Ross also discuss some great recent articles and review several upcoming web accessibility events.
Download Web Axe Episode 92 (Frustrated)
Sponsor: Help make a difference and join Project:Possibility: a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating open source software that benefits persons with disabilities. Our SS12 Code for a Cause competition is an opportunity for students to learn about accessibility and make a difference by developing innovative projects for persons with disabilities, as well as the chance to work with industry professionals.
Ross’ book update.
California court rules for JetBlue:
- Court Rules in Favor of JetBlue – Airline Websites and Kiosks Not Covered by State Law (@LFLegal)
- Why JetBlue, FAA [and DOT] are on the wrong side of justice (by @blindtravel)
- Airlines Continue to Evade Accessibility of Check-In Kiosks and Websites (by COAT)
Old Twitter gone for good; New Twitter not accessible.
- The official word about the final rollout of New Twitter.
- Forced to use New Twitter & unable to use it? Try the robust and web-accessible Easy Chirp (@EasyChirp). On iPhone, try TweetList.
Unfortunately, after 20 years since the World Wide Web opened to the public, I’d have to say that accessibility is worse than ever.
- Laws haven’t improved. Section 508 static for over a decade. See above. Target wan’t found guilty.
- Social media, banking, and Olympic websites not accessible. Google Plus Keyboard Accessibility (Web Axe)
- Widgets and services. DISQUS: Shutting Out the Blindness Community from Discussion
- Even government websites not accessible!
- Even the W3C removing accessibility markup and attributes without an adequate substitute e.g. longdesc, summary. Leaving accessibility for last e.g. video captions.
- Provide website feedback to Fix The Web.
- Users Must Become Their Own Advocates by Karl Groves.
- Barriers to Improving the Accessibility Game Plan by Karl Groves.
- Contacting Organizations about Inaccessible Websites by W3C.
- Join the Contrast Rebellion!
- Developing a Web Accessibility Business Case for Your Organization by W3C.
- Prioritizing Web Usability, book by Jakob Nielsen 2006.
- A simple introduction to web accessibility by Ian Hamilton, BBC.
- More from 4Syllables (@Writing4Web):
- Web Accessibility and SEO from WebAIM.
- Popular Mistakes in Universal Web Design by Dennis on Design Festival.
- 30 (Million) Reasons for Accessible Design (not web specific)
Web Camp/Unconference Reminders
Accessibility Camp Montreal
Friday, August 26, 2011
Boston Accessibility Unconference
Saturday, September 17, 10am to 5pm EST
Accessibility Camp Toronto
Saturday, September 24
Toronto, Canada (OCAD University)
Twitter: @A11yCampTO Email: a11ycampto at gmail dot com
Web Accessibility London Unconference
Wednesday, 21 September 2011, 10am to 4pm
London, UK (City University London)
Accessibility Camp DC
Saturday, October 22
MLK Library in Washington, DC