Digital accessibility experts are often asked about the usage of screen readers and assistive technologies. For example, one will often ask “What’s the most popular screen reader?” This is difficult (if not impossible) to determine technically, but also has privacy implications and other problems.
The following two surveys provide great data and are provided by very reputable organizations. Keep in mind though that the respondents were not controlled and the sample sizes are relatively low.
- Screen Reader User Survey #6 Results by WebAIM (2015)
- Screen Reader User Survey #7 Results by WebAIM (2017)
- GOV.UK assistive technology survey (2016)
Are you aware of any other recent surveys?
- Survey of Web Accessibility Practitioners #2 by WebAIM (2018)
- Accessibility analysis of the top 1,000,000 home pages by WebAIM (2019)