Dennis and Ross discuss the “Accessibility Game Plan”, a couple good CSS tips, upcoming events, and a few lawsuits, and more!
Download Web Axe Episode 91 (Game Plan, CSS, Lawsuits & Events)
- Ross’ book update
- Accessible Twitter is now Easy Chirp!
The Game Plan
- Barriers to Improving the Accessibility Game Plan
- Accessibility: Let’s put away the wrecking ball!
- It about semantics (pun): universal design, inclusive design
- Educate others in a web camp, Refresh chapter, UPA.
- Share your and others’ solutions.
- Practice what you preach.
- Advocate accessibility groups, websites, etc.
Careful with CSS
- Testing the accessibility of the CSS-generated content (with before/after pseudo selectors)
- CSS Background Images and Accessibility
- Berkeley-based nonprofit sues CNN.com for not captioning online videos and CNN Being Sued For Lack Of Closed-Captioning Online
- National Association of the Deaf Files Disability Civil Rights Lawsuit Against Netflix and Netflix sued by deaf group over lack of subtitles
- Court to Hear Argument in JetBlue Accessibility Case. “JetBlue has asked Judge to throw the case out of court, arguing that California’s disability civil rights laws do not apply to JetBlue’s website or kiosks.”
- Just announced: Blind Students Sue Florida State University for Discrimination
Conferences & Events
- AccessU keynote by Dennis
- Accessibility at Google IO 2011
- Events July thru Dec 2011 & IT Accessibility Goes To Camp
- Scotiabank seeks a Project Leader Accessibility and Inclusion (contract), Toronto, Canada
- Mozilla seeks an Accessibility Engineer
- New Editions Consulting (for DHS?) seeks a Senior Accessibility Analyst in Washington, DC. Ability to successfully complete a secret clearance is required.
- Just announced: Web Accessibility Engineer at MIT
One reply on “Podcast #91: Game Plan, CSS, Lawsuits & Events”
Another piece of lawsuit news from @SupeRaven: Wells Fargo Bank Settles with the US Dept. of Justice for Denying Relay Calls