When testing web accessibility, missing visual focus indicators is a “violation” of 2.4.7 Focus Visible. And when it fails, it also makes other checkpoints difficult to test (for sighted testers) such as focus order.
To get around this problem, here are a few tools to help force a visual indication of keyboard focus. Keep in mind that sometimes the tool doesn’t work, usually due to extremely poor markup and lack of keyboard access entirely.
Do you know any others?
More on visual focus indication:
Another CSUN Assistive Technology Conference has come and gone. Below are some great resources and tweets from the conference. Watch the keynote by Dan Goldstein via YouTube. Read my CSUN 18 preview.
Next year the event will move a bit north to Anaheim, California. CSUNATC19 is planned for March 11 to 15, 2019 at @AnaheimMarriott.
The 33rd annual CSUN Assistive Technology Conference will be held March 19-23, 2018 at the Manchester Grand Hyatt Hotel in San Diego, California. (It’s reportedly the last year in San Diego as the conference will move back to the LA area in 2019.) The keynote speaker is Daniel Goldstein, an attorney who has been involved in the field of disability rights for almost 35 years. If you can’t make it there, catch the keynote live stream on YouTube (5:30 PM PST Tuesday, March 20).
Here are session schedules by companies well-known in the digital accessibility industry:
Lainey Feingold (@LFLegal) will be presenting her very popular Digital Accessibility Legal Update a few times, in large rooms, so everyone can attend, yay.
- Deque Party and Accessible Karaoke: Palm Foyer, Wednesday, March 21, 6:30-10:00PM.
- 3rd Annual aXe Hackathon; Saturday, March 24th 10:00AM-3:00PM, at Downtown Works, 550 West B Street (short distance from conference venue).
- Microsoft Reception: Thursday, March 22, 7-9PM, Seaview Room (lobby level).
- Google party, if you’re lucky enough to get an invite (not very inclusive!)
Web Axe author Dennis Lembree (@DennisL) will be co-presenting two sessions:
If you’re new to the CSUN conference, you may want to check these out:
Like Web Axe? Get your Web Axe gear on RedBubble! Always good to promote web accessibility with a little swag/merchandise!
Currently available: t-shirts, hoodies, mugs, stickers, notebooks
Many great opportunities are available in the digital accessibility field.
- Technical Writer for Web Developer Software at Deque Systems in Ann Arbor, MI.
- UI Client Accessibility—Software Engineer at Workday in Pleasanton, CA.
- Director of Accessibility at EVERFI in Washington, DC.
- Digital Accessibility Specialist at Thomson Reuters in Eagan, MN.
- Accessibility Director at AbilityNet in London, UK.
- Accessibility Engineer at Adobe in San Francisco, CA.
- iOS Accessibility Engineer at Facebook in Menlo Park, CA.
- Web Accessibility Consultant at Level Access in San Francisco, CA.
- Director Accessibility Services at Utah Valley University in Orem, UT.
- UI Client Accessibility – Software Engineer at Workday in Pleasanton, CA.
- Digital Accessibility Specialist (contract) at Kaiser Permanente in Pleasanton, CA.
- Screen Reader Accessibility Auditor at Accessible360 (remote, I believe).
- Web Accessibility Tester at JP Morgan Chase in San Francisco, CA.
- Digital Accessibility Engineer (contract) at Collabera in Boston, MA.
- Accessibility Specialist wanted at Pearson in Boston or remote.
- Sr. Front End Engineer (with WCAG, Ruby skills) at Scribd in San Francisco, CA.
- Accessibility Specialist (engineer) at edX in Cambridge, MA.
- Product Manager at Deque Systems in Ann Arbor, MI.
- Accessibility QA Tester (screen reader user) at Apertus Partners in Mountain View, CA.
Follow me, @a11yJobs, and @LyndonDunbar on Twitter for more!