Last week, my author Dennis Lembree attended the 28th Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference (better known as CSUN) at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego, California.
Dennis presented one session “Developing an Accessible Widget with ARIA” representing his day job company. You may download Dennis’ PowerPoint file here.
WebAIM announced that there is now an API for WAVE, their web accessibility evaluation tool. It has a very affordable pricing model, and the first 100 “credits” are free with registration.
Besides the sessions, there are many activities happening at CSUN including the Tweetup, SS12 Finals, and the first WordPress accessibility meetup! A highlight was Deque Systems’ “Amazing Evening” event featuring a guitar player who played with his feet, and who was also a hilarious comedian!
Props to the Toronto accessibility crew who had great representation again. Met more Canadians this year (thanks to @Jennison) including Bill Gregory, George Zamfir and Jorge Mori.
Recommended session presentations:
- Accessible Infographics – great research/testing from @Ted_Drake.
- Responsible Design: Accountable Accessibility (SlideShare) – fun and interesting story by @TheBillyGregory.
- Cities: Creating Accessible WordPress Themes – by @Accessible_Joe. Great info on the WordPress accessibility movement.
- Baking Accessibility into the CMS…using QUAIL – by Kevin Miller @kevinmiyar. QUAIL is a jQuery plugin for ensuring accessible and quality content.
- Added March 8: ARIA Gone Wild! by Jared Smith of WebAIM.
Other great resources:
- Session & interview videos by webable.tv (with captions!)
- Workshop materials for Accessibility of HTML5 and Rich Internet Applications from The Paciello Group.
- CSUN13 Flickr Album started by @good_wally.
- Hashtag #CSUN13 on Twitter.
Mark your calendar for CSUN14 which is scheduled for 17-22 March 2014. In the meantime, you can plan for the upcoming, second annual Global Accessibility Awareness Day (#GAAD) on May 9th!